(Friends Or Relatives With Autism And Related Disabilities)
To provide a small-scale housing community where adults with autism will prosper and thrive in a safe, supportive environment.
FORWARD in the News
Cape Cod Times article, June 5, 2017
by Madeleine List
71 % of adults with Autism live at home with few supports and an unclear plan for the future when their families are no longer able to care for them. Those who live at home are largely isolated after their work day or day habilitation program is over. Many of these young adults could be working to contribute to the community while simultaneously gaining a sense of pride and purpose. That is why our founding board is made up of professionals and neighbors who have come together to form a non-profit that is dedicated to the creation of a small-scale model housing community where people with Autism and related disabilities will prosper in a safe, supportive environment.
What We've Achieved
- The “FORWARD at the Rock” residence has been the visual goal of FORWARD’s mission since it’s inception.
- In 2014, FORWARD partnered with Housing Assistance Corporation (HAC) to submit a proposal to lease 4.9 acres of town-owned land on Hokum Rock Road, Dennis, MA
- The Town of Dennis’ selectmen unanimously approved the proposal in August of 2015 for FORWARD to create affordable housing on Hokum Rock Road for adults with autism and related developmental and intellectual disabilities. Dennis’ Selectmen support a lease of the property for 99 years for a duplex home.
- “FORWARD at the Rock” property is located on a peaceful, wooded site in Dennis, MA, the heart of Cape Cod, close to local amenities and approximately one mile from Dennis Village.
- With the approval of the Town of Dennis, HAC and FORWARD plan to create walking trails on the adjacent 10 acres of land. “FORWARD at the Rock’s” community trails and adjacent space will be accessible to the public. Plans include additional parking along the main drive to encourage public access.
Next Meeting Date:
Tuesday, August 22, 2017